The main objective of Biota/Fapesp is to inventory and characterize the biodiversity of São Paulo State, defining the mechanisms for its conservation, economic potential and sustainable use.
A non-exhaustive list of products list of objectives, means and products is presented below. They are propositions of lines of action in the Program.
- To study and to know the State of São Paulo biodiversity and disseminate this knowledge and importance
- To understand the processes that generate, maintain and impact biodiversity
- To know the local and traditional knowledge regarding biodiversity
- To increase the capacity of public and private organizations to manage, monitor and use biodiversity.
- To evaluate the effectiveness of conservation efforts in São Paulo State, and in addition, to identify prioritized areas and components for biodiversity conservation
- to develop methodological bases and reference standards for environmental impact studies
- To estimate biodiversity loss in different spatial and temporal scales
- To support decision making on development projects, especially sustainable development
- To empower the São Paulo State, public and private organizations to benefit from the sustainable use of their genetic biological resources
- To train the government to estimate the value of biodiversity and its services, such as water conservation, biological control, etc
- To enable State institutions to comply with legal provisions and instruments concerning living organisms, such as the specimens deposit